Third Specialisation Course for Junior Prosecutors on International Criminal Justice and International Cooperation in Criminal Matters
24 JUNE – 7 JULY 2018 IN SIRACUSA, ITALY
The Siracusa International Institute for Criminal Justice and Human Rights (Siracusa Institute) and International Association of Prosecutors (IAP) are pleased to open applications for the 3rd Specialisation Course for Junior Prosecutors (SCJP).
The SCJP is designed to highlight the most important synergies between international criminal justice and the domestic prosecution of international crimes. Over two weeks, the course will prepare domestic prosecutors to work on cases involving core international crimes and transnational crimes, and also offer specialised training in international legal cooperation.
This course has been developed by leading international prosecutors and jurists, namely:
- Judge Jean-François Thony, Prosecutor General, Court of Appeals of the Alsace Region and President, Siracusa Institute.
- Baron Dr. Serge Brammertz, Chief Prosecutor, UN Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals.
- Edith Van den Broeck, Senior Legal Advisor, International Association of Prosecutors.
- Rasmus H. Wandall, General Counsel, International Association of Prosecutors.
- Laurel Baig, Senior Appeals Counsel, UN Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals.
- Elizabeth Howe, President, International Legal Assistance Consortium.
- Professor M. Cherif Bassiouni* (1937-2017) former Honorary President, Siracusa International Institute and Emeritus Professor of Law, DePaul University.
The Specialisation Course will employ a wide variety of interactive, practice-oriented and experiential methods to equip participants with the knowledge, analytical tools, practical skills and proven techniques required to develop effective investigation and prosecution strategies relevant to their areas of practice and/or interest.
The SCJP consists of two week-long modules. Each module builds on interactive lectures with practical exercises and simulations. Participants are strongly advised to attend both modules. The course culminates in a detailed case study-based exercise that draws on the advanced knowledge, practical skills and techniques that have been developed over two weeks.
For its third edition, SCJP 2018 is again expected to bring together prosecutors from across the world. The past two courses were attended by 109 prosecutors from 51 countries.
Previous editions of the course have featured:
- Judge Kimberly Prost, Chef de Cabinet to the President of the International Criminal Court, former Judge of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, and former UN Ombudsperson to the ISIL and Al-Qaida Sanctions
- Michael Lauber, Attorney General of Switzerland.
- Ms. Loide Lungameni, Chief, Organised Crime and Illicit Trafficking Branch, Division for Treaty Affairs, UN Office on Drugs and Crime.
- Mr Mariano Federici, President, Financial Information Unit of the Republic of Argentina.
- Nadim Kyriakos-Saad, Assistant General Counsel and Head, Financial Integrity Group, International Monetary Fund.
- Gail Kent, Global Public Policy Manager, Facebook.
- Alfredo Nunzi, Director, Department of Administration, European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation (EUROPOL)
- Frédéric Van Leeuw, Chief Crown Prosecutor, Belgian Federal Prosecutor’s Office
- Mr Thomas Burrows, Associate Director for Europe and Senior Counsel for Multilateral Affairs, Office of International Affairs, US Department of Justice.
IMPORTANT COURSE DETAILS
Eligibility: Prosecutors and related criminal justice professionals with up to ten years’ experience. Full English proficiency is required.
Registration contribution: Both modules (two weeks): € 1,200 for IAP members and € 1,250 for non-IAP members (including the cost of annual IAP membership).
Either module (one week): € 700 for IAP members and € 750 for non-IAP members (including the cost of annual IAP membership).
Scholarships: A limited number of scholarships will be available on application.
Update of May 24
A second round of applications is open until Friday 8 June. Candidates wishing to apply should send their CV and Cover Letter explaining motivations for attending the Course to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please visit the right side menu.
Thank you for your interest, and we look forward to receiving your applications.